Senior Project Manager/Business Development Leader St. John's 19083
St. John's, NL
Location: St. John's, NL
Our Program & Project Management group pioneered independent project management services in North America nearly 40 years ago, helping to define it as a distinct profession.
The Program & Project Management practice area provides project management solutions, including advisory, implementation and operational readiness services to clients developing capital projects across the full Industrial, Commercial and Institutional (ICI) sector. Our primary focus is on project planning, control and reporting thereby contributing to predictable project outcomes.
We are seeking to hire a senior Project Manager join the practice area and contribute to its further development and growth, while based in the St. John’s Newfoundland office.
The senior Project Manager (PM), working within the Program & Project Management practice area, is responsible for the technical performance and financial success of projects/assignments undertaken by our company and for ensuring that the projects/assignments meets the agreed upon scope, schedule and budget objectives of the client. Clients may be both internal (other company practice areas) and external.
Though influence, knowledge, business development and technical skills, the PM is regarded by our clients as the key individual responsible and accountable for meeting and exceeding the Client’s expectations with respect to all aspects of our company’s service delivery. The PM is responsible for the quality, quantity and value of the services provided by our company to a particular client for a specific project and directs the growth, technical excellence and fiscal well- being of the of the client relationship consistent with our company’s corporate policies, procedures and scope of services to be provided.
Within our organization’s matrix organization and team management approach, the PM provides the leadership to individual technical staff performing program & project management services on assigned projects. As such, the PM requires a broad, yet practical, knowledge of project management best practices and knowledge areas as defined by the Project Management Institute (PMI) and is looked upon by clients and our company’s technical staff as one of the project management thought leaders within the Program & Project Management practice area.
In a supportive role, the PM contributes by providing experience, knowledge and perspective on issues and activities that are the responsibility of other company business leadership. These issues include recommendations for employee compensation, and performance reviews; project reporting; project staffing and recruiting; loss prevention and professional liability issue; compliance with corporate policies and procedure, etc.
Because of the unique nature of this role, the emphasis is on seeking consensus through interpersonal relationships, diplomacy, sensitivity, persuasiveness and verbal communication skills and by accommodating decisions made in conjunction with others.
PM specific responsibilities include the following:
- Development of comprehensive project work/execution plans and procedures, including communication and compliance amongst the project team members.
- Staffing, organizing and managing assigned project personnel in accordance with the project work/execution plans and may include significant involvement with recruiting of project personnel.
- Organizing, coordinating and managing various technical disciplines and sub-consultants in multi discipline project environments.
- Timely project invoicing to clients in accordance with contract terms.
- Managing the project to achieve the client’s project objectives, typically defined in terms of specific scope, time, cost and quality/performance requirements.
- Establishing regular client reporting and meetings.
- Ensuring that the terms of the Professional Services Agreement are followed and properly/professionally fulfilled.
- Ensuring the scope of services to be provided is fulfilled and provision of any additional services are documented and approved by the client in advance of the work being performed.
- Ensuring quality assurance procedures are in place and followed by the project team, including compliance with our company's ISO 9000 Quality Management program.
- Ensuring proper project closeout and document archiving.
- Ensuring compliance with our company’s health and safety policies and procedures.
We are involved with a diverse spectrum of projects ranging widely in size and complexity. All projects require a clear understanding of our company's project management principles; however every client and project is unique. PM must therefore exercise discretion in deciding how specific projects are executed.
Project Management services within the Program & Project Management practice area may be performed as a 3rd party “independent” project manager or Owner’s representative and may span all project phases from business case/concept/initial planning through design, procurement, construction, commissioning and transition to operations. Alternatively, project management services may be performed as part of an Engineering, Procurement and Construction Management (EPCM), Design Build or Public Private Partnership project delivery models.
- Recognized licensed professional designation (i.e P.Eng.) is preferred.
- Designations conferred by industry associations (i.e. PMP) will be considered assets
- Solid project planning capabilities.
- Solid experience in the management of project controls for major projects.
- 10+ years of experience as a Project Manager or Project Controls Manager within a related segment of the ICI industry.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong computer skills in Excel, Word and project management software.
- Demonstrated supervisory experience and project/business leadership skills.
- Highly motivated with self-managing and problem solving capabilities.
Stantec, founded in 1954, provides professional consulting services in planning, engineering, architecture, interior design, landscape architecture, surveying, environmental sciences, project management, and project economics for infrastructure and facilities projects. Continually striving to balance economic, environmental, and social responsibilities, we are recognized as a world-class leader and innovator in the delivery of sustainable solutions. We support public and private sector clients in a diverse range of markets, at every stage, from initial concept and financial feasibility to project completion and beyond.
In simple terms, the world of Stantec is the water we drink, the routes we travel, the buildings we visit, the industries in which we work, and the neighborhoods we call home.
Our services are provided on projects around the world through approximately 11,000 employees operating out of more than 170 locations in North America and 4 locations internationally. Stantec trades on the TSX and on the NYSE under the symbol STN.
Stantec is One Team providing Integrated Solutions.